Saturday, November 13, 2010

The 80s Are Back







































"Were the 80s just one big party or was there more going on?  This new exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney takes you back to the music, fashion, parties, politics and the people to find out."
        - from the Powerhouse Website.

I am excited to hear about a museum exhibition exploring the zeitgeist of the spandex decade through a variety of media - including design, fashion, music, video games and subcultures.  Another reason I should book a flight to Sydney.

As I have become increasingly interested in curating exhibitions of contemporary art & design, I feel it is important to initiate an encompassing cultural event that reflects the attitude of the exhibited works themselves.  Events where both contemporary objects AND the contemporary culture in which the objects were produced are on view.  We'll see how well I can keep to my own ideals or if I result to the trophy podiums and white walls in the need to make a sale...

On a lighter note, here's an 80's track we all love.  Hey now hey now....

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over

TO DOWNLOAD: Click the link(s) above & then click the 'Download' link in the top right corner of the box.net web page that appears.