Tuesday, November 30, 2010

For Dad, Forever Ago

























18 October 2008.
That day, on a direct flight from New York to San Francisco, I listened to Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago album on repeat, staring out the window at the endless skies just beyond the reach of the metallic wing, unable to distract myself with the copy of the NY Times I had brought along for my journey home.  Early that morning, I was awoken to the news of my father's heart attack.  He was gone.

To this day, that album remains timeless and perfect for that incredible moment when everything changed.

30 November 2010.
Over two years have passed since that day in October.  I have since boarded a one-way flight from San Francisco to London to obtain a Masters degree in the field I love.  I am moving forward in Dad's example and with Dad's open heart.

This Das Kapital re-work of Bon Iver's 'Skinny Love', a track off For Emma, Forever Ago, is emblematic of this process.  The same song from 18 October 2008, given new life today.  Moving forward, while looking back.  I love you Dad.

Bon Iver - Skinny Love (Das Kapital Remix)
Bon Iver - Skinny Love (Album Version)

TO DOWNLOAD: Click the link(s) above & then click the 'Download' link in the top right corner of the box.net web page that appears.

1 comment:

crazysexycool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.