Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bon Iver / Skinny Friedman
















Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago is without a doubt my defining album of 2009. On my flight home from New York on the day of my father's heart attack, October 18, 2008, I sat alone in a window seat toward the back of the plane, staring out into space and deep into my heart. On that 6 hour flight, I grew from a boy to a man, with Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago on repeat the entire flight, providing the soundtrack to my rite of passage. Comforting, honest and true, his music inspired a type of focus and strength needed for my new responsibilities at home and in life.

Over one year removed from that day, I am pleased to return to Bon Iver with my eyes and ears tuned to what lies ahead. The pulse Skinny Friedman adds to Bon Iver's Blood Bank gives an energy to the seriousness of the song, and resonates perfectly with my outlook right now. My mother is strong, my family is strong, I am strong, and with love in our hearts, we move forward carrying dad's example. Life is truly an amazing thing...

Here's to growing up, growing honest and growing aware of how beautiful it is to be alive. Thank you dad, love you.

Bon Iver - Blood Bank (Skinny Friedman Edit)

No comments: